Wednesday, February 14, 2007

So long Starwood...

Ahhhh, Starwood Amphitheater. So many memories... and so many beer-aided, escaped memories.

In case you dont know by now, Starwood is being sold and will no longer be a concert venue. (do they really need another subdivision or warehouse commerical property around Antioch?)

I recall seeing Lynyrd Skynyrd (twice), Doobie Brothers, Duran Duran, Jimmy Buffett (at least twice), Dave Mathews Band, Alanis Morrisette, No Doubt, Shania Twain and I'm sure I'm leaving out others.

Some notable experiences...
  • one of the Skynyrd concerts was with some old work pals... you could definitely "smell that smell" out on the lawn and we had a great time. We gathered at a nearby house later and celebrated more..until the host's daughter broke her arm while at a sleepover. I'm just glad I didnt have to take an 8 y/o to the emergency room after doing Skynyrd things.
  • same old work pals at the No Doubt show... Gwen comes out and does maybe 2 or so songs before an electrical storm pops up... they basically got on the loudspeaker and in a panic told everyone to run and we got drenched. My clothes were still wet 24 hours later. The storm finally passed and No Doubt came back for a song or so just so they didnt have to issue a refund.
  • Shania Twain back around '99 was one of the most fun times. I was just "coming out" and a friend, who I called "glitter boy," gave me a ticket at the last minute. He was very out and flashy and I was nervous about going at first, but it was soooo much fun. We got there at the last minute but still wormed our way as close as possible and jumped up and down and were just all around crazy. **This is no joke... "glitter boy" moved to LA and I saw him in the audience of American Idol and he straight up pinched Ryan Seacrest's ass. Ryan squealed in delight.
  • Jimmy Buffett with the Kirby crew. A 3 volume novel would be necessary for all these stories, but if you know the Kirby's, you know it was always a crazy time.

I'm sure there are other crazy stories from those days, but I'm kind of forgetful until reminded of something. I didnt go to any concerts there the past couple of years (so I cant complain about it closing b/c it was underperforming). The traffic was a nightmare and I'm always leery about buying tickets to outdoor events in advance. I'm whiny and it's sometimes too hot, too cold or rainy.

So long Starwood...

p.s., I'm sorry I booted on your grounds a couple of times. I really didnt want to do it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love it!!!

You did forget to mention our Skynyrd experiences, though. Leigh Ann and JoJo bought you beer all night long but wouldn't buy any for Beth or me since we weren't 21...but neither were you!

Oh, and Duran Duran...when Phil's coworker showed up with a date that wasn't his wife and never batted an eyelash, knowing that we knew he was cheatin'...

I am happy to say, though, that I never had to spend time in Starwood's jail. You know they had one, right? People that fought or got too drunk got locked up in jail cells inside the office area. REALLY!!! Mandy the Zeta that Anjeanetta lived with ended up there at Hank one year.