Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Back from the hills

Wow, I just realized it's been a week since my last post. Never fear, I am here now.

I had quite a busy weekend! I went to East TN to visit my family. I had a lot of fun visiting a lot of them.

My grandmother's sister & brother-in-law were in from Michigan. They were already coming for another reason, but it was good timing b/c there was a family day event at my great-grandmother's nursing home.

Nursing home visits are usually both entertaining & sad, and this was no different. There was a band playing and one lady was dancing the entire time they played. If they took a break, she was begging them to start back up. My aunt works there as the activity director and she said the lady dances all the time. Too Cute!!! It's nice that dancing makes her happy. On the flip side, my aunt was telling me some sad stories about others that I wont get into. I hate to see what may happen to anyone as we get into the supposed 'twilight of our life.' On the bright side, my great -gram enjoys it there. She likes being around the people who are sane, likes the activities and REALLY loves the attention from the nurses.

I left on Sunday morning to come back to Nashville, but not before I visited my uncle who just returned home from Jacksonville, FL. He'd been there since May for a liver transplant at the Mayo Clinic. He had to stay in the area in case there were any complications. I had spoken with him a few times while he was there and there were times he sounded down and like he wasnt sure he'd make it back to TN. Praise the Lord he made it back though. I was fortunate to be in town for the weekend when he came back. I can be quite emotional, but held back my tears of happiness until I got in the car. It's amazing how much better he feels compared to pre-transplant.

Back to a lighter subject, I made it home in time to watch the TN Titans game with friends. Yay Titans!!! 5-0, B-A-B-Y!!!!!!!!!

I hope you all had a great weekend. I'm heading back to a different part of East TN this upcoming weekend. It's not a family event this time, so I'll blog about that next week.

If you've made it to the end of this long post, thanks for reading! :)

3 comments:

Josh Middleton said...

I always make it to the end of your blogs, girl! It's good to hear something from you again.

I'm so glad you had a nice trip back home. It's good to hear that you're gram is doing well, and I'm so happy to hear that your uncle made it back and is doing better. I know seeing him meant a lot to you.

I'm curious about what the next trip to East TN will be. I don't think I've ever known you to go back unless it was a family visit. Hmmm???

Have a good night, Girl. Talk to ya soon.

W

Anonymous said...

It's interesting how differently people face living in a retirement community, assisted living facility, etc. My mother hated the prospect (and never went). Gary's parents, both in their 80s now, refuse to be anywhere but at home (or the hospital). My grandmother (father's mom) LOVED her nursing home. She dressed up every day!

Dusty Brown said...

So glad to hear about your uncle. I can't remember his name, but this is Chris' dad, right?

Nurding homes break my heart, too. I have heard some sad tales about my grandpa from my dad, and I don't like to think about anyone being mean to helpless people. :(