Friday, March 9, 2007

Needle N-E-E-D-L-E


I'll never forget the moment in 5th grade when I misspelled "Needle" in a spelling bee--for the record, I spelled it "n-e-d-l-e"-- and my dreams of advancing further were shattered.


Thursday night, Hal and I went to see the Broadway show "25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee." I've been wanting to see it since I saw a performance on the Tony Awards a couple of years ago. It even won 2 Tony's for something. It was entertaining overall and I enjoyed it, but I didnt think it lived up to the hype I had heard. It was neat that they picked 3 audience members to participate and a "celebrity guest," if you call Miss TN a celebrity. The funny thing was watching those 4 non-cast members not know what was going on onstage.


I LOVE LOVE LOVE musicals and often listen to showtunes on XM radio or through cable tv music channels (yes, I fit that stereotype). The songs in the "Bee" were fun since it is a comedy afterall, but it was far from the best show I've seen. My favorite so far has been RENT and MAMMA MIA . I'm very anxious to see WICKED and The Color Purple though. I really want to see a Broadway show in NYC. Hal lucked out 2 years ago and got to see SPAMALOT with David Hyde Pierce and Tim Curry while I was stuck in lowly Nashville.


Molly Ringwald is coming to TPAC for a musical in May or June and I am excited to see that. In a perfect world, I'd go to the theater at least 3 times a week. I'm usually jealous when I go home that I dont have the talent to sing and dance like that (but of course I visualize it in my dreams). lol


That's all the news I have for now. Stay Tuned!!!

No comments: