Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Honky Tonk Girl


It finally happened. I saw the First Lady of Country Music, Ms. Loretta Lynn!!!!


If you dont know, I've been obsessed with Loretta since elementary school. I flew out to Kansas City for the concert and met up with my irreplaceable friend Josh--who flew there from San Fran. He's an equally obsessed fan, so we were in hillbilly heaven.


Her twin daughters, Peggy & Patsy, warmed up the crowd. We had great seats about 3 rows back. Loretta came out with one of her signature poofy gowns and we LOVED it. She was everything I've expected--and more. She mixed in some classic Loretta speak and stories between songs--including telling her band to "plum stop" when they played music over one of her stories. Unfortunately she broke her shoulder recently and had to sit for most of the concert, but she still had the crowd singing along and very happy.


Josh and I were probably at least half the age of most people there, but we expected that. One special highlight was a story she told about promoting her first song to radio stations. Josh yelled out "Bologna" (if you've seen the movie, you'll know why). SHE HEARD IT and made a cute joke about it. She finally got around to singing Coal Miners Daughter and it was so surreal hearing it straight from the source. This is definitely a concert I'll never forget. Thanks for the memories and experience, Josh!!


Kansas City was actually much better than I expected. Downtown has a lot of construction going on right now and will probably be a lot more fun in a year or two. We went to a shopping plaza about 5 miles from downtown called Club Plaza. It was really beautiful. All of the architecture is ornate & Spanish inspired. I think I read the development was started in 1920. If you happen to be in KC, I'd definitely check it out.


The return trip was the scariest flight I've ever been on due to bad weather... I seriously almost cried, but I made it nonetheless. I was able to make it home on Saturday in time to go see the Preds defeat arch rival Detroit Red Wings. YEAH!!!

That's all the news I have for now. Stay Tuned!!!
P.S. Props for the awesome photo go to Josh.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've been waiting for the update and I wondered if your flight was cancelled.

About the turbulence...been there, down that on an international flight...scary as hell bc all of a sudden, those statistics about how planes NEVER crash (when you start tracking the numbers of passengers, flights, etc.) start seeming much less trivial and the odds of you crashing seem to go through the roof in your own head. But just think...if you had crashed it would be in People magazine where they would do the little bios of all of the passengers and we would give quotes about you loving LL and she would hear about it and sing at your memorial service, because there wouldn't be anything left of you to rush into a funeral but I digress...

Having said all of that hypothetical craziness, I am glad you weren't so priveledged as to have her sing at your funeral. LOL.

Anonymous said...

Killer concert. Glad you made it back in one piece.

Anonymous said...

Wow wee... No really. Can't beleive you and your luckiness. Now if we could just go see Steel Magnolia on BROADWAY we would be set for life. You should have yelled SOW!!!

Joysuz said...

I would have yelled SOW...We loved her so much and do you remember we used to watch the movie and talk on the phone. Do you remember "WHY'D you come in here looking like that?" Dolly Parton. GOOD TIMES>

Casey said...

Joy...that is so funny... I was telling Hal last night how we used to watch our video of Coal Miners Daughter in tandem... pausing together as appropriate for breaks!! Too much fun.