Friday, July 27, 2007

Billionaires eat chain food???

... so tonight... we had a hard time deciding where to go for dinner... my requirements were that I didnt have to get too cutesy/trendy and it was within 1 mile from home... so we settled on Bricktops on West End... we've been there a few times... our duplex neighbor is a manager there (I blogged about him giving us a free meal a while back--but unfortunately, he is out of town this week).

It's close to our place... has good food...and an outdoor dining area and is really nice for a chain (it's not like an Applebees or Ruby Tuesday), but it's not too fru-fru. Well, on the way in, we saw Bill Frist's (thank heavens he isnt my US Senator any longer) brother. His brother was a co-founder of a major hospital chain and they are worth well over a billion. Obviously we arent friends and didnt chat...but it was an interesting sidewalk encounter.

Later...we saw Alice Randall. She is the author of--among other things--'The Wind Done Gone.' This parody of "Gone With the Wind" got a lot of media attention... it was told from the perspective of the slaves rather than the Scarlett O'hara & Rhett Butler crowd. She also was the first African-American woman songwriter with a number-one country song. I became familiar with her in college when she was a guest of a journalistic panel I attended. (David Halberstam also was at this..who was a fantastic Pulitzer Prize winning journalist who unfortunately died this year in a car crash around San Franciso).

We also saw a local network weatherman (who I also shared a plane with once on the way home from San Fran) and a prominent gay socialite/philanthropist (he founded Artrageous!).

Who the hell else did we miss in the dining room???

Bottom line is... who would've thought that these people you see in the society pages on a regular basis were at the same chain (small but expanding) that I went to b/c I didnt want to get "dressed up."

hahaha... I guess every know and then, even a billionaire has to mingle with the common folk. I just wished he would've slipped me a few dollar bills. Cheap Ass!

1 comment:

Josh Middleton said...

Awesome Gurl, it was like you were dining at The Ivy in L.A.! Fabulous!