Monday, May 26, 2008

Summer is here!

Hope you are all having a great Memorial Day weekend. I know that I have had a good one already. Right now, I'm sitting on the front porch enjoying a rain storm. I love it.

I went to East TN this weekend to visit my family. I havent seen most of them since Christmas. It was great getting to have lunch with my Gram, my cousin & her adorable 12 month old twins. I also got to see my great grandmother. She's 92 and is still very mentally sharp but we've just found out she is going to have to remain in the nursing home for good. She had some weird non-responsive to strong smelling salt "spells" a while back & the doctors dont want her to live alone any longer. She's not really upset about it and it really is a good thing b/c there are always people around and she likes the attention of the nurses & the activities they get to do. There are always interesting characters in the nursing home and I could fill up a blog post probably just on some of the things I see while I am there.

I also got to see my brother, niece, one nephew & the newest niece, Katlyn!! She's really cute, but she's not even two weeks old so she pretty much just sleeps. I did get to have some good times with the older niece & nephew playing Uno & Trivial Pursuit. I cant believe how grown up they are becoming. The niece is wrapping up kindergarten & the one nephew is 9 y/o. Crazy!!!

The real reason I always go home for Memorial Day weekend is b/c it is Decoration Day/Homecoming at the church where my family goes & a lot of my relatives are buried. Decoration Day is an old southern tradition where you put new flowers on the graves of your loved ones. It's also nice b/c a lot of people I've known since I was born are at the church, so I get to see a lot of people at once. Even though I'm 30, I still get people asking me where I go to school (I said, I'm out of school... I'm 30!), talking about how much I've grown (even though I've been finished growing for quite some time) and people telling me I still look 12. Umm... thanks?

After two days of visiting though, I was ready to come home & hang out in my own place. Hal & I just enjoyed sitting on the porch last night gabbing. Good times.

We are going to a friends house today to hang out by his pool, I'm just waiting on this darn rain to go away.

Dont forget to think about our veterans today. There were a lot of veterans graves at the cemetary I was at. It's amazing how many people I knew as adults when I was a child served our country. Salute!

2 comments:

Josh Middleton said...

Hey Gurl! I'm so glad you had a fun weekend. I hope you guys had better weather than the rain it sounds like you're having now. Seems like you are loving every single aspect of your new home. I'm dying to see more pictures whenever you guys get a chance to post them.

Have a good rest of the day. Have fun swimming!!!!

W

Rick Watson said...

I need to more timely with my responses, but sitting on the porch gabbing... I have neighbors that just bought a huge house next door and every night they love sitting on the back porch, candle lit, ceiling fan on, and just talking. They sit there for hours! It must me a very therapeutic thing to do. I'm sure it's relaxing.

-Rick