Tuesday, July 29, 2008

A little bit of nostalgia...

I was a little nostalgic to read the news today that the Bennigans restaurant chain has closed all of their corporate owned stores immediately.

I wasnt sad b/c I loved their food, but... a little bit of trivia. It's the first place Hal and I went together when we met almost 10 years ago. It just happened to be right down the street from my first Nashville apartment and we didnt have a lot of time b/c we wanted to watch Monday Night Football, so that made the decision easy.

I cant recall the last time I've been in a Bennigans really though. It's possible it has been 8 years. They left the Nashville market long ago. I might have gone in one at an airport recently, but if so, only for a drink.

Farewell, Bennigans. I'll blame the demise of your corporation on the Dubbya economy also... lol

5 comments:

Josh Middleton said...

Oh, that dubbya. What will we have left before he is finished with us.

I enjoyed the little story. What a trip down memory lane! and how far you have come since those days at eating at less-than-diva eateries like Bennigans! :)

Dusty Brown said...

I always did love their hot ham and swiss slim jim sammie, though I think the last time I actually went to one was in 1993.

Rick Watson said...

What a sweet story. Thanks for sharing. My memories of Bennigans go back to when I first started visiting Chicago. There was one right between Wacker and Grant Park. We would usually try to eat there at least once because it was something familiar.

What I don't understand is 'football'?? I'm clueless!

Anonymous said...

I used to LOVE the Death by Chocolate from Bennigans. Oh, college days at Bennigans... Now that I think back, it wasn't all that special. ;)

Anonymous said...

Never been to a Bennigans. But something about your story reminded me of the restaurant Gary and I went to on our first ... well, in between ... well, I mean, when we were still just getting acquainted.

I think the place is still there, near the Watergate. Gosh, I hope our personal history is not disappearing.

Best to you!