Saturday, September 22, 2007

Roller Coaster mania...


After a several year hiatus, I returned to King's Island on Friday. It's one of the best theme parks in the country for roller coasters. I LOVE coasters.

Each year, the GLBT group in Cincinnati rents out the park for a 'private party.' It's really open to anyone who knows about it and is not a homophobe. It's a scaled down version of what you would experience at the park on a normal day. They dont have all the souvenir shops open or the kid's rides or many of the refreshment stations. They stick to the major attractions... (roller coasters & a few other crazy contraptions).

It goes from 6pm until Midnight. It's everything you've ever dreamed of if you love coasters. You barely stand in line at all for any rides. The only thing you have to stand in line for is a new ride. I think the longest we waited this year for the new ride was 30 minutes.

If you've ever been to a theme park on a normal tourist day, it's nothing to wait well over an hour for almost every ride. On Pride Night, you can walk up to most rides and not have to wait over 2 minutes.

I rode some crazy roller coasters & had an opportunity to be in the very first car for some of the most intense rides. I screamed like a little school girl, but I loved every second of it. It's such an adrenaline rush.

There was a group of 7 of us that went and it was a blast. We didnt spend much time at the hotel, but we snagged a great deal in downtown Cincy. Unfortunately, we only spent one night. It was unfortunate b/c on Saturday & Sunday, they were holding Oktoberfest in downtown right outside our hotel (yes, in September, WTF?). Anyway, it appeared to be a fun outdoor event. It's supposedly the best attended Oktoberfest in North America with estimated attendance of 50K. Why do I care about Oktoberfest? It's quite simple really... I like... no... LOVE beer... and it's a great excuse to start drinking early.

We walked through the festival this morning on our way to breakfast at FirstWatch, and people were already drinking it up at 11am. Those are my kind of people!!! I might have to check that out next year if it's the same weekend as Pride Night in King's Island.

Anyway, I'm kind of tired from a whirlwind weekend... Cincy and back in a little over 24 hours..including freaking awesome, exhilirating roller coasters, so I'm going to wrap this up.

(P.S., Josh... you're going next year since you'll be on this side of the country!)

2 comments:

Josh Middleton said...

Gurl, I'd love to go!! The only reason I don't go to theme parks as often anymore is because of the damn crowds. This sounds awesome! I love roller coasters too - we would be a bunch of crazy screamin' divas!

I used to love to get those blue, smurf ice cream cones at Kings Island when I was little. Do you remember those??

Anyways..

Glad you had a good time, sounds like you caught Cincy on a rather festive weekend.

Peace out sister!

Casey said...

I'm totally with you on the crowds. I only go to this event for that specific reason.

I never went to Kings Island as a young'un, but if it had anything to do with Smurfs... I know I would've LOVED it.