Saturday, March 22, 2008

There's Loretta!!!

OMG... what a Saturday, y'all! We went to the Preds game at 2pm... it was a nail-biter that went into overtime and a shoot-out. Luckily, the Preds pulled it off and still have a slim chance to make it into the playoffs. We'll see what happens.

One interesting tid-bit from the game was that Jimmy Fallon, former SNL star and star of movies I havent seen yet, was at the game. They showed him on the Jumbotron and during one intermission, he had a line of fans waiting for pics for 15 minutes. I've never noticed people doing that before in Nashville... Apparently he was in town for some comedy gig the night before.

ON TO THE BEST PART!!!

We didnt have much time to get home & into Grand Ole Opry gear, but we worked it out. We were a little bit late for the first segment, but didnt mind.

If you've never been to the Opry, here's how it works. The show we attended was 2.5 hours long. They break it up into 30 minute segments. Each segment has a different host, so we saw 5 segments. Each segment also has a different sponsor and it's funny to realize that it is also still a live radio/TV show.

The 1st segment: we saw (some of) included Little Jimmy Dickens & Jeanne Seely. I know both of them, but not very well. Little Jimmy is an Opry staple though and was rocking a fantastic purple, rhinestone suit.

The 2nd segment: I didnt know anyone and was mostly bored until a female comedian came on and made me laugh a little, despite the jokes being mostly about menopause.

The 3rd segment: Lorrie Morgan hosted and came out looking smoking hot in a cute, little, pink dress. I've always liked her, but didnt recognize the two songs she sang. Apparently she wasnt too familar with them either, b/c she was the only performer I noticed using the teleprompter.

The 4th segment: Steve Wariner hosted. I think he is a great songwriter & enjoyed seeing him perform two of the few personal radio hits I'm familiar with, "Two Teardrops" & "Carmelita." Riders in the Sky also performed in this segment and they were entertaining.

FINALLY... THE 5TH SEGMENT:

A little backtracking here, so there's a couple minute break between each segment, so the artists for the upcoming segment come on the perimeter of the stage a little early. At the end of the 4th segment, Hal said... "There's Loretta!" and sure enough, there she was. It was easy to spot the sparkly dress.

She obviously had been eating some bologna in her dressing room (and we all know what bologna makes you do), so she seemed to be in a perky mood.

Anyway, Marty Stuart was the host of the 5th segment. He was enjoyable and then Connie Bradley (country legend herself and Marty's wife) popped in... and the next part was what I've been waiting for for weeks.

They introduced Loretta. She was wearing a spectaular gown with plenty of sequins. It was LL fabulous. She sang "Coal Miners Daughter" as her second song. I was in nirvana. Marty Stewart came out & surprised her by requesting some random song. She turned to see if her band was still there and agreed to sing on.

Signature Loretta, she forgot the words halfway through & had to look back to her backup singers to get the lyrics. She's the Country Queen though and owns a permanent pass for lyrical lapses.

She continued with an acapella version of "How Great Thou Art" and rocked it out. I got a little misty eyed. sniff sniff :)

It was a great show... If you havent been to the Opry, you should pick a week with good performers and check it out. It's definitely unique :)

Go Preds!

6 comments:

Casey said...

Forgot to mention that I'll share a video clip of Loretta in action tonight in a day or so.

Josh Middleton said...

Yay a video!

Sounds like an awesome night. You saw plenty of country stars. I love Lorrie Morgan but I can't believe she didn't sing any of her hits. Sounds like she was basically doing karaoke with the whole teleprompter and all.

Loretta sounds fabulous. I'm so glad she wore another sequined, poofy gown!

Can't wait to see the video. I'm glad you had a good time, Gurl!

W

Anonymous said...

Great story! Oddly, the most I know about Loretta Lynn is from the movie "Nashville." The one character is supposed to be based on LL. I was very impressed by it. The movie is powerful.

Casey said...

Oddly, Bill.. I've never seen the movie, "Nashville," however; I have it saved on my DVR, so I'll see it soon enough.

Neither Josh or I will rest until you watch "Coal Miner's Daughter." You'll be smitten with LL after that.

Dusty Brown said...

I don't get the bologna reference.

Casey said...

Dust: I'm trying to keep a clean blog, so I cant explain the bologna thing on the blog... but watch the movie (it's a classic scene) or email me :)