Tuesday, June 10, 2008

'Ello, Mates!

Manchester update...

Here's where I left off yesterday... I switched hotel rooms... I was overlooking a train stop & pretty much the edge of Manchester/outskirts with lots of trees on the first night... it was pretty, but I prefer a real City Centre view, so I asked to be moved to the other side of the hotel. I'll be damned if they werent up in about 10 minutes to move me up two floors on the side I wanted. I now have a fabulous view of the city that is fantastic. I took a quick video clip & will take some pics to share later.

I went to dinner last night just steps away from my hotel. It was soooo good. I had some braised beef with mash... love me some meat & potatoes. I also got a bottle of wine (well, I had to bring some of it back to the hotel) and got a bit snookered considering I had also had a few after work ales. I got thru the training session just fine on Tuesday though... although I was a tad sleepy most of the day.

I decided to get back down into the heart of the city Tuesday night to find a dinner spot. This is a really big city, but unfortunately, it is largely a ghost town after 5pm. I did take some cool photos that I hope turn out ok. I dont have the connection cord for the cam to PC with me, so you'll have to wait for them. I even got someone to take a photo of me in front of a very cool place.

Speaking of cool place, I had dinner there also. It was at The Olde Wellington Inn. It really has a deep historical background and looked so authentically English. I selected some meat pie that I hated. It was an English steak with stilton in a puff pastry. That sounded good on paper, but I just didnt enjoy it personally. They were a little too generous with some thick brown gravy. It was interesting to say the least. It also had some sort of potato topping (stilton) in addition to a side of mash. They love their meat & potatoes here... and I usually do as well.

I was happy with the experience overall though. Just b/c I personally didnt like my dish doesnt mean it wasnt good, I just didnt fancy it tonight. The English steak part wasnt really a traditional steak as we know it in the US, it was very finely chopped up in the pastry & gravy.

Enough about the food... even though I dont have much else I can post on here tonight. I'm still loving the city & enjoy the daytime vibrancy of walking to work (I can see the office from my hotel) and all the street activity.

I do miss my "assistant/editor" though and wish I was not here alone. Dinner alone is the worst. So much is going on at home... our duplex tenants are moving in this week & he has it all set and I cant even see it completely rent ready before they all move in. Also, we have some beautiful flowers blooming at our new house. He was nice enough to send me photos though, so that was a nice touch.

It's way too late for me to still be up... so I'll end this now.

I'll keep you posted on my journey the rest of the week as it unfolds.

Ta-ta for now!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

The meat pie sounds delicious!!!! Yet, I have always read that British cuisine is ... well, not the highlight of the nation.

I couldn't be alone as you are in a new country (or city!). My friend Jose, who traveled for his job a great deal, said that he used to break the hotel room blues by getting some fruit (?! I'm just reporting this) and personal items to make the room seem more his own, more like home. Not sure how the fruit factors in.

Good work on the room switch!

Anonymous said...

I suggested the fruit as well, Bill. But I think he's just shy about meeting someone new. :)

Josh Middleton said...

Gurl, I am so glad you're loving the city. I'm enjoying the posts more than you could imagine. It sounds like you are taking the opportunity to get to know the area as much as you can, speaking like a local, trying out the local cuisine. It all sounds so fabulous. And I almost cried a little when you said you missed Hal, that was so sweet.

Thanks for keeping us aBREAST. We are all able to live vicariously thorugh your experience.

P.S. Hal totally beat me to the punch about the "fruit." That was just too easy!

Casey said...

Isnt fruit what got us all in this situation now? If only Eve had self control.

This is a family friendly blog for the most part, so I'll avoid commenting on further fruity details... I have a bit of dignity... just a smidge.

Dusty Brown said...

You all are a mess. Glad to see you are missing ol' Hal!!