Monday, June 9, 2008

Some Random Manchester tid-bits

Alright, y'all...

I'm getting adjusted to the time difference here. I got to sleep around 1am local time last evening/morning, but I was able to feel ready to roll during the 9-5 session today.

I ventured out last night to the gay district, Canal Street. I didnt get there until 9:30ish and apparently I missed out on the real party activities. Being such a nice day & all on Sunday (70+ degrees), apparently they got their groove on early. I walked through Canal Street and was actually kinda feeling odd. They were all mostly crazy drunk, pissed if you are in the know, and I wasnt up for a venture inside any of the bars/clubs. There was too much stumbling around, bumping into each other & spilling beer just on the pedestrian streets in front of the hangouts for me to brave a look inside. I'm not bashful at all when it comes to going out alone in strange cities, but sometimes you have to recognize what you are up against. I'm all for getting a bit pissed myself, but I wasnt there last night and couldnt deal with others in that state.

Today was not a bad workday at all. I'm working at the equivalent of the IRS in the US. I took a taxi this morning (the stereotypical English kind), but realized it was just a 10 minute walk from my hotel, so I hoofed it back this afternoon.

Another thing that is hard to adjust to is all the damn coins you get here. I got 6 lbs back from lunch today, and it was all coins. That's like $12 USD!! They definitely stay in circulation longer, but it's definitely not convenient carrying several coins in your pocket.

I'm totally digging the architectural mix here. There are plenty of old as dirt buildings that are beautiful, but also a lot of very modern buildings... sometimes right next door to the old. I love that!

I've resolved my credit card freeze issue from yesterday (FYI: always call your credit card company if you are going to be out of country unless you want to deal with calling Customer Service after the fact).

It's almost 7pm here & I'm going to head out fairly soon to do something I havent decided on yet. It's really odd for me that it doesnt get dark here until 10pm.

Hope you are all doing well. TTYL!

4 comments:

Josh Middleton said...

Hey Gurl! It sounds like you are really getting into the Manchester groove. You're even starting to speak like a local. I can't wait to see pictures, but from your description, the town sounds beautiful. I realize there is a significant time difference between the US and UK, but it's still hard to believe it's after 7 there! I'm just now getting my lunch break! I wish I was there to frolic through the streets tonight!

Have a great night!!!

Rick Watson said...

I guess 'pissed' means drunk? i don't like hanging near a bunch of drunks either.

I think hearing all those English accents, in overload, would be a big turn on for me!

I hope you make the most of your time in Manchester. Soak up all you can! Europe is my top pick for an overseas excursion. I've never been, but will go someday!

Anonymous said...

I've checked the link to this blog a couple of times but managed to miss the Manchester posts until now.

Like Rick, I've never been to Europe either. In 2008, that's kind of like saying you've never flown, or had pizza.

The scene you described in your post today sounds ... bizarre. Alcohol abuser that I am, I know that crowds of drunks can be ugly, and scary ... or just a turn-off. Sounds like you made the absolute right decision.

I've heard that Manchester is a work-a-day town ... blue collar. Is it true? All the houses look the same? OMG, you can go "DOWN THE PUB"!!!!!

That hotel is gorgeous. Thanks for the glimpse of U.K.!!!

Casey said...

This is my first Euro trip also... luckily with the damn dollar exchange, I'm on the company dime :)

The residences are all similar... I wouldnt call them houses though...as they are all pretty much clustered together like American style apartments... it's very cool.