Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Memorial Day Weekend scoop

Well, I guess you know the weekend is over by now. I had a great one and hope you did too.

Hal & I chilled out on Friday night(aside from going out to dinner) and I had a chance to do one of my favorite things--sleep late on Saturday. Then I got myself up and headed to East TN. I always go over Memorial Day weekend b/c it is Homecoming/Decoration Day at the church I grew up in. My mom & paternal grandparents are buried there and it's a time to put new flowers on their graves and visit with a lot of people you don't normally see. It may sound odd to some of you, but I guess it's just an old southern tradition.

Since I was just there 2 weeks ago, I didn't stay around long and headed hom on Sunday to enjoy the rest of the holiday weekend. We chilled out again that night and headed to Whole Foods on Monday to pick out some food for a grill out. I haven't been there too many times (it's still kinda new to Nashville), but they have some awesome stuff. I think I could eat 80 of those little cakes in their dessert counter. I heart cake, but stayed away from them.

Sadly, Tuesday rolled around and it was time to get back get back to work. I do like my job, but also enjoy my time off. I was ecstatic to check my personal emails and see an email about presales to 'Wicked.' I've been wanting to see this show for a couple of years. I'm so excited it's coming here!!! I got our tickets tonight. Why wait?

Back to the purpose of the holiday weekend though, it was nice to reflect on our troops--past & present. I think we should think about them everyday, but I know a lot of us take it for granted. I don't personally know anyone in the service currently. Some of my friend's parents and grandparents were in the service. My great-grandfather was in WWII, but he died when my mom was a baby. I was very happy to get some of his military papers recently though. It was interesting to get a peek into his life that I didn't really know about. Salute to anyone who serves our country in tough times!

4 comments:

Josh Middleton said...

Nice post, girl. I'm glad you had a chance to spend some time in Nashville over your break, as well as in East Tennessee. I'm so jealous over the Wicked tickets!!!!

Bill Fogle said...

The kitchen(s) and prepared foods in the Whole Foods stores always make me drool. Beautiful presentation and vast, multi-cultural variety. Oddly, the two or three times I have purchased their ready-to-eat dishes, I was incredibly disappointed. Weird!

Rick Watson said...

Wow! You do visit East TN frequently! I'm glad you enjoy it there!

Hope it was a nice Memorial Day for you and enjoy those Wicked tickets! I've never seen it!

BartLennon said...

I am behind on my World Of Casey reading and just noticed this. We saw Wicked in London our last time there ...it was most excellent. You'll love it!